EL OBJETIVO DEL PROYECTO ES MEJORAR EL ESTADO DE CONSERVACIÓN DE LAS POBLACIONES EUROPEAS DE DOS ESPECIES DE INTERÉS PRIORITARIO DE TORTUGAS MARINAS, LA TORTUGA BOBA (CARETTA CARETTA) Y LA TORTUGA VERDE (CHELONIA MYDAS).
1) Reduce the impact of anthropogenic threats at foraging grounds, with priority to trawl and set nets in Spain, Italy, Tunisia, Turkey and Albania.
2) Reduce the impact of anthropogenic threats at nesting sites in Spain and Albania, in order to (i) guarantee a suitable nesting and incubation habitat for the future, including climate change effects, and (ii) allow a high production of newborns recruiting to their populations.
3) Set up a consistent approach for the conservation of the EU sea turtle populations, in order to optimize current and future efforts and resources in the EU.
4) Set up a network for sea turtle conservation among key actors in EU and relevant non-EU countries, based on common objectives and methods. This network will include the main research and conservation organizations in the countries.
5) Promote among EU and non-EU citizens the concept of shared Mediterranean Sea turtle populations and of the common heritage of natural marine resources of which sea turtles are excellent and charismatic flagship species.