Last Friday 11, the UVEG team moved to Murcia region (south of Valencia region) to assist regional authorities in the search of a loggerhead turtle nest in the beach where 2 hatchlings were found a week ago. We succeed by finding the nest, with other two live hatchlings inside. Unfortunately, success was very low due to the place chosen by the turtle (too hot and with many stones around). Only 8 out of 93 eggs hatched. From the 8 hatched, a total of 4 hatchlings have gone to a head-starting program in Murcia region.
This action of UVEG team formed part of activities A2 and C1 of the LIFE MEDTURTLES project. particularly in the part related to coordination with teams of neighboring regions.
- The installation of special LED lights in fishing nets, innovation brought for the first time in Albania by the LIFE Medturtles project (see video)
- Sea turtles released after being accidentally caught in albania!
- HAS continues the ghost gear removal activities on the Albanian coast
- Collaboration with fishermen is ongoing in Puglia (Italy)
- Removal of ghost gears in Drini bay (Albania)!